Happy New Year, dear faithful readers! Thanks for visiting, because without you, there would be no blog. This blog is my way of having a conversation with like-minded people (and even if you’re not like-minded, I like to hear those opinions, as well). And if you enjoy reading it, can I impose on you to do a few things?
- Tell your friends about it. (The way I see it, the more, the merrier).
- Tell me what you like, what you don’t like, what you’d like more/less of. (I aim to please).
- Tell me what some of your New Year’s resolutions were. That is, if you made any. (Maybe it’ll be a good subject for another blog post.)
Speaking of so-called resolutions, I didn’t make any – again. I gave that up years ago, when it got boring, since I made just about the same ones over and over each year. And believe me, I had a lot. But making them over and over meant that obviously, I wasn’t keeping them. They don’t work – at least not for me.
Instead, I’ve decided I’m going to handle the whole business of resolutions differently this year. Having just had one of my worst years in recent memory – glad to see you go, 2012! – I’m feeling entitled to change it around just a bit. So this year I’ve decided to make resolutions for everyone else.
Call it my wish list for a happy 2013. Whoever said the number 13 is an unlucky number…let’s prove them wrong.
- I will hold the door open for you if I see you walking in behind me, rather than letting it slam in your face, pretending I didn’t know you were there.
- If you similarly hold the door for me, I will smile and say thank you, rather than ignoring you and instead feeling entitled.
- I will wipe down the sweat that I deposited all over the treadmill/bike/elliptical/bench at the gym.
- I will not hog a machine at the gym and pretend I don’t see you standing patiently waiting to use it while I talk on my phone, catch up with another member, or just hang out few minutes to catch my breath and relax.
- I will not cut in line (and pretend you don’t notice me slipping in) just because I’m in a rush and you look like you’re a patient soul.
- I will cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze and not offer you my hand to shake if I’ve recently used it to wipe or pick the snot from my nose.
- I will try to keep my voice low when I’m on a cell phone when I’m not supposed to be on a cell phone. Over-sharing is so overrated.
- I will recognize that you are, like me, a person with feelings and opinions, and hear your viewpoint even if I might not agree with it.
- I will not tailgate. I will not tailgate. I will not tailgate.
- I will not assume you know I’m changing lanes just because I’m thinking of changing lanes.
- I will not blithely say, “let’s get together,” unless I have some dates and ideas in mind.
- I will not ask you, “how are you?” unless I really, truly care how you are.
- I will not offer to do something for you and then “conveniently” never mention it again, since I figure you’ve probably forgotten all about it by now, anyway.