Today my first-born turns 30. REALLY? That sounds like someone else is saying it…
But yes, time has a way of speeding by, and they grow up so fast and all those cliches which I won’t bore you with.
Except… I am tempted to say that I remember, minute by minute, second by second, the moments leading to his birth and then the sights, smells, sensations and feelings at the moment of his birth…(should I add pain?)…like they were yesterday.
Cliches aside, I am so grateful to Jonathan for so many reasons.
- For making me a mom, something I thought was far beyond my reach after many years of trying to conceive.
- For filling me with love, wonder and adoration.
- For teaching me some techie-stuff (well, sort of).
- For enjoying cultural pursuits and surprising me with a birthday gift to the new Whitney Museum. “An experiential gift” is what he said. “The best day I spent in a long while,” is what I said.
- For taking the time, at said museum, to examine the wondrous art and even stand with me and discuss its merits and finer points (even though I can go on and on sometimes).
- For never getting a speeding ticket, arrested or thrown in jail, or suspended from school. (At least, I don’t think so).
- For being a good student, being interested in so many topics and making himself a well-rounded person.
- For being honest and reliable; steadfast and determined.
- For never being embarrassed to kiss his mom in public (still).
- For always saying “I love you” without prompting.
- For running numerous marathons (I’ve lost count) and doing the hard work to get there.
- For always working hard for whatever he wants.
- For becoming a very talented (and healthy!) cook and making me realize he was really paying attention all those years ago.
- For asking for my advice.
- For giving me his advice when asked.
- For growing up to be a person I’m proud to know.
- For letting me hug him like I did when he was a little boy and even pinching your cheeks once in a while.
- For loving a woman who is every bit as wonderful as he is.
- For loving his brother and being a real friend to him.
- For giving me at least twenty more reasons to be grateful.