We all want to be healthy when it comes to our food but the idea of eating like rabbits or having to stay away from restaurants has obviously can put a lot of people off. But that is a very extreme way of thinking and can potentially do emotional damage. There are plenty of things you can do to be more mindful of your health, none of which meaning you have to drastically change your diet. And you can still eat out at your favourite restaurant downtown Charlottesville has if you so desire.
Here are 20 baby steps to be more mindful of your health and develop a more positive attitude to food.
- Eat half your dessert
- Eat off smaller plates
- Snack on fruits & veggies
- Ask for salad dressing on the side
- Swap fries for a green salad
- Increase your fiber
- If you sit a lot, get up and move about once an hour
- Skip seconds
- Drink water before a meal
- Don’t snack late at night
- Order your latte with skim milk
- Chew your food slowly
- Don’t eat snacks directly from the bag – portion out a serving
- Stop eating before you’re full
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Eat before you get too hungry
- Eat before you go food shopping
- Eat sweets in small amounts
- When you eat out, ask the server to put half your entree into a doggie bag if you feel there’s too much.
- Snack on low-fat or fat-free yogurt (with a few nuts sprinkled in)
Forgive me if these sound obvious…they might be. But then again, sometimes the things closest to us are the ones we fail to see.